The recall applies to older 15-inch MacBook Pros, most of which were sold between September 2015 and February 2017, the company said on an informational web page. Customers were instructed to input their MacBook Pro’s serial number to determine if their device requires maintenance.
“Customer safety is always Apple’s top priority, and we have voluntarily decided to replace affected batteries, free of charge,” Apple said.
Apple said faulty batteries in the laptops could overheat and catch fire. It’s unclear how many devices are affected by the recall. The company instructs customers to stop using the laptops and bring them to an authorized service provider for a free battery replacement.
Apple announced earlier this week that all of Best Buy’s U.S. stores are now part of its authorized service network, meaning that they are certified to repair its products. The iPhone maker said it has more than 1,800 third-party service providers in its U.S. network, in addition to its own stores.
The MacBook Pro recall comes weeks after Apple expanded repair service for all MacBook models dating back to 2015 to address issues with malfunctioning keyboards.
Apple said that the recall does not affect any other Mac laptops. To check if your device is affected, Apple published a website where you can input your computer’s serial number. Apple will replace the battery free of charge, according to its announcement.
“Customer safety is always Apple’s top priority, and we have voluntarily decided to replace affected batteries, free of charge,” Apple said on its website.
The affected laptops are a previous-generation design, and are not the same models as the current MacBook Pro with Touch Bar. Those computers have a “butterfly” keyboard which has been criticized by Apple users for being unreliable, and those computers are currently covered by an Apple service program that replaces the keyboard for free if it starts malfunctioning.
Battery issues are not uncommon in consumer electronics. The most famous example of a recall associated with overheating batteries was Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7 smartphone, which caught fire because of issues with its batteries.